Code Enforcement Officer
(732) 244-7400 ext. 1237
(732) 244-7400 ext. 1238
The primary concern of the Code Enforcement Office is maintaining a safe and clean environment in Berkeley Township.
The Code Enforcement Office would like to remind residents about a few things that are helpful in maintaining a safe and clean environment in Berkeley Township:
- It is required that all homes and businesses have their street numbers displayed in a manner that will aid emergency personnel in the event of an emergency situation.
- Remember to annually check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- A reminder that garbage, recyclables and bulk items should not be placed outside for pick-up until 4:00 pm the day prior to the scheduled pick-up date. Also, Ordinance 35-89:23, membrane structures (portable structures) cannot be left on the property any longer than 72 hours and cannot be used for habitation or storage.
A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required when anyone is selling or renting a home. Applications are available below or can be picked up at the Code Enforcement Office Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. Please feel free to contact our office with any questions, complaints, concerns or comments at (732) 244-7400 ext. 238.
Also, a reminder to residents that all complaints brought to the attention of the Code Enforcement Office will remain anonymous.
Any time you rent or sell your home in Berkeley Township, you must apply for a Certificate of Occupancy. For rental property owners, this applies every time the tenant changes.
The following requirement regarding battery-operated Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms will be enforced: REQUIREMENTS
Starting May 19th, Smoke/Carbon/Fire Extinguisher Certification fees will be increased to $40.
P.L. 2022, c. 92 which is now in effect requires the owner of a business, or one or more rental units, to maintain liability insurance for negligent acts and omissions in an amount of no less than $500,000 for combined property damage and bodily injury to or death of one or more persons in any one accident or occurrence.
Berkeley Township now requires that an unexpired Certificate of Liabilty Insurance is required to be filed at the time of filing the Landlord registration form. The Clerk’s Office will NOT accept the Landlord registration without the Certificate of Liability Insurance
The Certificate of Insurance and Landlord Registration is now required on a yearly basis.
On or around March 20, 2023 there will be a yearly $25.00 Landlord Registration Fee pursuant to Ordinance 23-03-OAB
Landlord Registration Form
Berkeley Township has a property maintenance code, which can be found in Chapter 12 of the Municipal Code Book:
Municipal Code Book
- Annual Registration: $500
- Additional Fee if Vacant/Abandon: $2,000
- Late Fees: 10% of registration fee for every 30 days not registered
Berkeley Township has partnered with Hera Property Registry, LLC to administer its Foreclosure and Vacant Property Registration program. In order to comply with the Ordinance, all Owners/Mortgagees/Trustees must register online via HERA Property Registry and pay a registration fee.
Hera’s Customer Support contact information:
Phone: (321) 234-5303