Effective December 22, 2022
Firearm fees have increased. Fees are now:
$25 per permit.
$50 Initial firearm identification card.
$150 Carry permit (paid online through Berkeley Township's payment link)
These fees are set by NJ Statute and not by Berkeley Township.
***Applicants applying for Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards, Duplicate FID Cards, or Permits to Purchase Handguns should read the following information to avoid making errors. ***
Berkeley Township Police Firearms Investigators cannot change any information on your application with one exception: If you have entered incorrect emails or other information for your references, the police department investigators can correct that information on the FARS site and can then resend the emails to your references.
If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a Firearms ID Card or a Permit to Purchase. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund cannot be issued.
FIREARMS REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION SYSTEM (FARS)
*** Please be aware that the NJ State FARS Website/Portal is not administered by the Berkeley Township Police Department. ***
- To Start: Log on to the FARS website and complete your application: NJ FARS Portal
- The Berkeley Township Police Department’s ORI # – NJ0150500
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the name, address, phone number and email addresses, of two (2) reputable references.
- Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email address for yourself and references.
CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
The Concealed Carry Permits service allows for online submission of both initial and renewal applications. Approved applications are due for renewal every two (2) years.
- Log on to the NJ Portal to complete your application: Permit to Carry a Handgun
- You can find the Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification as well as Use of Force Training documents here.
- If you have lived outside of the state of New Jersey in the last ten (10) years, please fill out form SP-066 (Consent for Mental Health Records) and upload it to your application.
If you have never been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, you will need to go for fingerprinting. Information required for a fingerprint appointment is included in the confirmation email. Fingerprinting appointment can be scheduled after successful submission of your FARS Application.
Effective immediately we will be complying with the recommended procedure as set forth by the State Police which requires payment for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns prior to starting the investigation process.
PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS
In the past applicants were permitted to pay for their Firearms Documents at the time of pick-up at Police Headquarters. This was done as a courtesy to our applicants as NJ State Police firearms procedures requires payment in advance prior to the application being processed.
There is a $50 fee for the Initial Firearms ID Card and a $25 fee for each Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Enter your applicant name as it appears on the F.A.R.S. application. Enter your F.A.R.S. confirmation number in the additional data field. Enter the proper amount for permits, i.e. - 1 permit = $25.00. 3 permits = $75.00. 6 permits = $150.00. DO NOT PAY MORE THAN WHAT YOU OWE. THIS WILL DELAY YOUR PERMIT APPLICATION. YOUR PAYMENT SHOULD REFLECT YOUR APPLICATION IN FARS.
***You must FIRST click on the link directly below to make Firearm Identification Card or Permit payment to Berkeley Township PD. This is a separate fee than what you will pay directly to the NJSP***
The NJ State Police has an easy to navigate FARS HELP section located at the following link to answer any questions not addressed on this website:
For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police Firearms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) website.
Firearms Laws in New Jersey – A synopsis of state laws on possession, purchase, and carrying of firearms (see link below).
Firearms laws BOOKLET